Humidity may have adverse effects on our health if we do not take notice of and respond to its changes. It is the unknown root cause of some common illnesses when the weather changes such as sinus problems, asthma, cold, flu, respiratory infection and allergy or other symptoms like bleeding nose, dry skin, cracked lips, swollen nasal passages. It is known that humidity of around 55% and a bit lower is good for our body. However, it is extremely difficult to maintain such humidity on a regular basis without the help of an appropriate humidifier. A humidifier adds moisture to the air and creates a comfortable atmosphere to live. It is essential to people with respiratory problems.
There are basically five types of humidifiers including Ultrasonic Warm/Cool Mist, Ultrasonic Cool Mist, Evaporative Cool Mist, Air Washer, and Steam Vaporizer Warm Mist. It depends on your personal preference to get the right machine. For example, young children and people with sinus problems and stuffy noses are recommended to choose warm mist.
It is necessary to have a good humidifier in order to stay healthy. However, it is pretty challenging to choose an appropriate one that fits your requirements. So here is some basic information for you to make the decision.
|Honeywell Germ Free Cool Mist Humidifier||4/5||Check on Amazon|
|PureGuardian H4610 Humidifier||4/5||Check on Amazon|
|Vornado Ultra3 Whole Room Humidifier||4/5||Check on Amazon|
|AIR-O-SWISS 7135 Ultrasonic Humidifier||3.5/5||Check on Amazon|
|ReMEDies Ultrasonic Humidifier||3.6/5||Check on Amazon|
Things to Consider When Choosing a Humidifier
Types of Humidifiers
- Ultrasonic: this works on the technique that a diaphragm vibrates at a high-frequency vibration to produce micro-fine mist then a fan blows the mist into the air and the mist evaporates immediately. This machine reduces bacteria and viruses in the air by killing them. It works gently producing almost no sound at all. Additionally, it saves energy.
- Evaporative: A filter wick or pad absorbs the water contained in the reservoir and a fan blows the cool invisible mist into the air. This humidifier is self-regulating and it raises the humidity in the room quickly and efficiently. White mineral dust does not matter to this type of humidifier. However, it needs regular maintenance and cleaning in the prevention of bacteria growing in stagnant water. Its filter costs and noise when operating should be taken into account.
- Air Washer Humidifiers: it can humidify and purify mist at the same time. It swaps dirty and full-of-large-impurities air for clean air with the cooperation between a fan and rotating discs. It is user-friendly and it works on the self-regulating principle. Furthermore, it is easy to maintain.
Cool vs Warm Mist
Warm mist humidifier heats water to a boil and blows the resulting steam into the air. This type of humidifier is cheap to replace mineral filters, which are to trap water deposits. The weak point is that it consumes time and money to maintain this machine. Another feature you should take notice of is its risk of burn due to the hot steam.
Cool mist humidifier includes evaporative, ultrasonic and impeller. Each works on different principles. Evaporative models use a fan to blow air over a wet wick. Ultrasonic machines use vibrating nebulizer to generate water while impeller humidifiers use a rotating disk.
Size of The Humidifier
There is a wide range of humidifiers with diverse sizes for you to choose. The trade-offs of efficiency, noise and convenience should carefully consider when a buying a humidifier.
- Portable/Tabletop humidifiers are the cheapest and suitable for a single room and small space like a bedroom or a cozy office. It is also convenient for frequent travelers. These types of humidifier require frequent refilling. They are easy to run and affordable. Ultrasonic cool mist humidifier is available for this type. These are small and medium-sized models.
- Room humidifiers are worked efficiently on a multi-room area of 650-1200 square feet. These include our ultrasonic warm & cool humidifiers, evaporative cool mist humidifiers, and air washers. These are usually large humidifiers.
- Whole house humidifier models are targeted at humidifying the entire house with open doorways. They work for spaces 1000 feet or more. These machines usually require a little water refilling but they are difficult to operate properly.
Further Features Needed Considering
Form is important yet functions of a machine should be the priority when you choose one. It is strongly recommended to focus on models that suit your budget and your requirements.
- A humidifier that is not cleaned regularly and properly will do harm to you so it should be easy to clean to save your time and effort. You can remove visible residue with vinegar, disinfect with a bleach solution and then rinse it thoroughly.
- The user-friendliness is also important. Clearly displayed humidity levels and settings are features of a good humidifier. Parts of the machine should be easy to move and clean.
- A model that has a humidistat, which allows it to shut off when reaching a preset humidity level, is a good one. A humidifier may cause condensation on the windows if it raises the humidity so much.
- It is perfect if you can install certain time for your humidifier to operate and create a comfortable atmosphere before you arrive home. However, regular cleaning is necessary as water in the tanks is an environment for bacteria and microbes to develop.
Reviews of The 5 Best Humidifiers
Below are the 5 best ones for allergies, sinus problems, and asthma.
1. Honeywell GermFree HCM-350
This machine possesses many advantages. It can eradicate up to 99% bacteria, fungus, mold, viruses and large-size impurities in the air. It uses Honeywell Replacement filter HAC-504AW and Protec Antimicrobially Treated Filter, which prevents the growth of mold and odor. Additionally, it has dishwasher safe parts. The tank capacity is 1.5 gallon and it runs 24 hours per filling so you can save time and effort refilling it. It is built for your convenience with its durability, the ease to clean, ease to carry and to fill. It operates gently producing little sound. 3 years warranty is available for this product so feel free to take it to customer service department when you need help.
However, the form is quite simple with only two colors including black and white at your proposal. And this is designed for medium-sized room only.
2. BONECO/AIR-O-SWISS 7135
This machine humidifies a space up to 60m2. There are two choices of warm or cool mist for you to maintain your preferred room temperature. Its titanium membrane surface disperses mist fast into the air. A replaceable demineralization cartridge prevents lime scale or mineral residues. The included Hydro Cell keeps the water fresh longer. Its whisper-quiet performance brings about a fulfilled sleep.
It also has a few disadvantages. You must exchange cartridge every 2 – 3 months, hard water usage may require more frequent replacement. The Hydro Cell needs changing every 1 to 2 months depending on the water quality. Additionally, you must use EZCal every 2 weeks to have the best results.
3. PureGuardian H4610
Dry air in the atmosphere will not be a problem with this product. Its large 2-gallon tank saves time refilling, as the machine can be self-regulating during 120 hours. It is suitable for large space. You can turn the double nozzle so the vapor can go in two directions. The Ultrasonic Technology disperses a fine mist in the dry air producing no sound at all. The silver clean protection prevents the proliferation of bacteria, viruses, and mold in the water tank. There are two options including cool and warm mist for you to choose. About control options, it has night-light, 12-hour timer, and 3-speed settings. Those who suffer from colds, allergies, and dry skin must be satisfied by this.
However, it has some need-to-improve points. Although the Silver Clean technology guards off the growth of mold on the surface of the water tank, bacteria end up growing everywhere else. Additionally, it is not very user-friendly as it is hard to disassemble and clean the parts. And it does not have an easy-to-lift handle.
4. Vornado Ultra3
It can humidify up to 600m2 with the vortex circulation technology. It possesses electronic humidistat for automatic humidity control and 3 fan settings including low, high and auto. The easy-to-use push button controls with LED lights make it easy to identify current settings. Another plus point is that it has 5 years limited warranty.
However, this model is made for 120 volts only. The gallon capacity is not very large, around 1-2 gallon so frequent refilling is a must. The machine needs a few minutes to emit steam when you fill water into the tank.
5. Cool Mist Humidifier
The design is eye-catching. This has a built-in 7 color LED night-lights for you to choose. Vapor flow is easy to adjust with the control knob. It is a combination between humidifier and diffuser, just add oil to this machine to produce your favorite aroma. The top spout spins 360º allows you to angle your vapor in any direction. It runs smoothly without any sound.
The complaint it may get is that it is difficult to get the tray containing essential oil out. People with sinus problems may find this unsatisfied emit not enough mist for them.
The list above shows you the 5 best humidifiers for Allergies, Sinus Problems, and Asthma. They all have good forms. They can emit mist quite well. They also save your time and effort moving and cleaning parts of the machine. If you are looking for a humidifier for a spacious room or a large space, these are the best ones for you.